Skip to main content

Chronic Fatigue Fight

I think I love Rocky because there are so many identifiable moments throughout the series between his fight and my own.  We both grew up poor.  We both grew up uneducated.  We both grew up knowing we were meant for one purpose.  And we both exhausted ourselves trying to accomplish our goals. 

Though I never knew glory or fame, true love or immortalization in marble, and though I never got my title shot, I fought for it.  And when Rocky falls practically lifeless in Moscow to his knees, I felt it. 

One of the most unbearable symptoms of most autoimmune conditions is chronic fatigue.  Let me break that down for you.  Chronic-persistent, continual, uninterrupted, unending.  Fatigue-exhaustion, extreme listlessness, bearing little to no energy, lethargy, burnout.  Still, all of the synonyms, definitions, descriptions under the sun can't prepare you for the depth of the feeling of actual fatigue.  Right now, the only thing I want to do, is lay down on my floor and breathe.  I don't even want to take the time to use the energy to get up on my couch.  It's real.  It's incredibly real.  Hell I don't want to use the energy to process synapsis to think these thoughts to write these words.  It's painstaking.  That's exhaustion.  That's chronic fatigue. 

What happens to those of us with autoimmune conditions who suffer from the symptom of chronic fatigue?  Multiple life altering, sometimes, life-simplifying, effects.  We go fewer places.  This can be good or bad.  When we do go places, we tend to stay for shorter periods of time, and prepare for the event ahead of schedule, knowing that we must maximize our time there, even if it is just the grocery store, or a three day mini-vacation.  So when we have energy, we schedule, or we budget, or we maximize our efforts on a grand scheme; or what you "normie's" call, life. 

Often times, we don't sleep well. What?  You're exhausted but you don't sleep well?  Yes.  It has happened to all of us at some point.  We have drained ourselves to the point that our bodies are in pain and so we just can't sleep.  We are painfully deprived of sleep, and we physically know it.  Whether we have ran the kids to practices for three weeks straight in the summer time, or it's back to school and we're in crunch time, or it's "pseudo-vacation" and we do everything but relax because we're trying to see everything in this new, exotic place, or we have a sick relative who we have to run to doctor appointment after doctor appointment and then care for when they are finally at home and we just have no time for ourselves and when we do we just collapse and then there is nothing.  You can't rest.  You can't get comfortable.  You can't wind down.  You can't find mental peace.  Where is it?!?! I need it, I know I do, my legs, my back, my...everything is begging for it, please.  Nothing.  That's Rocky, falling to his knees, getting wrapped in the American flag, dripping in sweat, one eye open, witnessing change in the Russian people-kind of exhaustion.  Yes, it's for terribly different reasons, but imagery is imagery. 

As I mentioned, with this exhaustion, there is pain.  We're whipped.  We're beaten.  Fineto.  Cianuro muchacho, I am done.   Rocky I, "There ain't gonna be no rematch," "Uh-uh, no way, don't want one."  The dialogue between Apollo Creed and Rocky after their first fight.  Fifteen rounds of brutality between two, two hundred pound men bludgeoning one another, on purpose, to end up on their backs in the hospital.  It may seem a little extreme, but it feels all too real sometimes.  The pain that comes with chronic fatigue isn't imaginary, isn't functional; it's physical, and it's detrimental to our quality of lives. 

Mostly, what happens to the lives of those of us with chronic fatigue is that we become fighters.  We become our own Rocky Balboa.  One thing I love about Rocky that not a lot of people ever focus on is the battle we watched on screen and never really paid any attention to, the battle he fought inside.  Rocky became a respectable, reputable man, community advocate, father, husband, friend, patient, educated person, and honorable human being, all by being a fighter for his own life.  No one else did that for him, and he did it all without anyone else watching.  He did it without anyone expecting him to do so, without anyone wanting him to, and frankly, without anyone figuring that he could.  We, as persons with odds stacked against us, have the need to become fighters, like Rocky, without anyone watching, because no one really sees the battle raging onward.  Only we do most of the time.  The fatigue, the lack of concentration, the pain, the stomach issues, the swelling, whatever it is that is going on with you today, may change tomorrow, and we all know that.  They don't.  So we get up.  Exhausted, overwhelmed, sweating, looking out at the crowd of our lives, with one eye open sometimes, and we fight, hard, even if it is on our knees. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Facing Autoimmunity Alone

3 a.m. and here I am, awake, and dealing with an illness no one knows but me. At least that's how it feels. I'm reading through medical journals about treatments and driving myself mad over what is to come for me, knowing none of them can predict my future. The one thing I can tell you, that any dr can tell you, about scleroderma, every course runs a different route, so no ones race is the same. Hooray. I try hard not to be pessimistic about the whole thing; I have lived ... longer than some, and lived a better quality of life than a lot of the people I've met with the disease. This past fall at the gala in Columbus, I actually felt out of place. I was the only "patient" there you couldn't tell had the disease. Scleroderma is very visible; maybe that's why my most recent dr was so confused. Maybe that's why he gave me false hope. But the visible part I take with me, at home, every night behind closed doors. The restless nights, the coughs,

How I Know I'm Still Alive

Some days it's just the pain.  Today, if it weren't for the pins and needles rushing through my finger and toes, I wonder if I would know I was even awake.  Some days you just feel empty, drained, completely nonexistent.  I have no idea why.  I just know it when it happens. Last night, the arthritis in my toes kept me awake until almost 2 am.  I work at seven.  You can imagine the amount of sleep I have had.  At some point, you have to medicate yourself just to go to bed.  Which makes it worse when you try to get up and become the functional person you are required to be for the day.  Go to work, go through the motions of a capable human being, doing your job the correct way, not wanting to put your head down at your work station, and just give in to it all.  It's the hardest thing I do some days. Not giving in. Your skin is the largest organ of the human body.  And ours, as scleroderma patients, hates us.  It attacks us at every turn.  People laugh when they come to my

Raynaud's Would Have Been Enough

Raynaud's Phenomenon (though I don't find it phenomenal in the least) is a condition that is defined as constriction of smaller blood vessels in response to extreme cold.  I find this definition to be slightly inaccurate.  Most people don't find holding a bottle of water "extreme cold."  Most people don't find changing out of their clothes to take a bath to be "extreme cold."  Most people don't find cutting vegetables, getting into the refrigerator, or catching a cool breeze to be "extreme cold."  But my fingers surely do.  In fact, I would go so far as to say, a more accurate definition would be, Raynaud's Phenomenon is a condition that is defined as constriction of smaller blood vessels in response to a lack of extreme heat.   There, that works for me. Some people probably think I jest; in reality, Raynaud's probably saved my life, or at least, extended it.  When I was undergoing testing to find out exactly what it was that